Royal Field Artillery
281st Brigade, D Battery; C Battery
Place of birth:
Audit clerk, Iron and Steel Federation
Date of death:
Cause of death:
Grave or panel reference:
Name of father:
Name of siblings:
Name(s) of children:
Date of birth:
Place of enlistment:
Age at death:
Cemetery or memorial:
Name of mother:
Caroline Eliza Oates (née Osmond)
Name of spouse:
Alice Gertrude Oates (née Phipps)
97 Dagmar Road, Stroud Green
Morgan William Oates was born in Islington on 9 May 1896 to William and Caroline Eliza Oates (née Osmond), who had come to London from Ryde on the Isle of Wight, where they were born, raised and, in 1889, had married.
William and Caroline had three children: Mildred was born four years before Morgan and the 1911 Census states that one child was no longer alive. Morgan was baptised in New Court Congregational Chapel on 16 July 1899, the same day as Ronald James Puttick, another of the soldiers whose name is listed on the plaque at the church commemorating those who returned from the First World War.
At the time of the 1911 Census, the Oates family were living in Dagmar Road, Stroud Green. William’s occupation is given as a commercial traveller for a printing firm and Mildred’s job is described as a ‘typewriter’ – an old-fashioned term for a typist.
What service records exist show that Morgan enlisted as a gunner in 281st Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force, serving first in D Battery and then in C Battery. He was awarded the Victory and British War Medals and, by September 1918, had served for three years and five months, eight months of that in the field with the British Expeditionary Force.
Two medical issues are documented: a day’s treatment for inflammation of connective tissue in his right heel and a deformed toe, undertaken while on 31 Ambulance Train from Merville to Boulogne in France in December 1916; and a hospital stay of almost a month in Queen Alexandra’s Military Hospital on Millbank in central London from August to September 1918, when he was suffering from inflammation of the middle ear. There is also an indication that he was transferred from and to other hospitals, one of which may have been the City of London Military Hospital in Clapton, east London.
In 1921, Morgan married Alice Gertrude Phipps at St Mark’s Church in Noel Park, Wood Green. His address is given on their marriage certificate as 70 Wray Crescent, close to New Court, but they made their family home at 88 Lordship Lane, close to Bruce Castle in Tottenham. Four years later, Morgan and Alice welcomed a daughter, Joyce Margaret.
Morgan worked as an audit clerk for the Iron and Steel Federation and he and Alice later moved to Hockley in Essex, where he was at the time of his death, aged 74, on 20 August 1970.