Rank:


Gunner

Service No(s):


L46038

Regiment:


Royal Field Artillery

Unit:

189 Brigade (Hackney Gun Brigade); 285 Brigade

Returned:

Yes

Place of birth:

Kelshall, Hertfordshire

Occupation:

Architect

Date of death:

Cause of death:

Grave or panel reference:

Name of father:

Alfred Hyde

Name of siblings:

Alfred; Norman; John James

Name(s) of children:

Norman Vincent; Beryl Rosemary

Died:

No

Date of birth:

20/09/1897

Place of enlistment:

Clapton

Event:

France; Belgium

Age at death:

Cemetery or memorial:

Other memorial:

Name of mother:

Eliza Jane Hyde (nee Atkins)

Name of spouse:

Nellie Hyde (nee Otter)

Address:

97 Moray Road

Biography:

Sidney Hyde was the youngest of the four sons of Alfred Hyde, an agricultural labourer from Baldock, Hertfordshire and his wife Eliza Jane Hyde (nee Atkins) from Kelshall, not far away. Sidney was in fact born in Kelshall on 20 September 1897 but by 1901 the family had moved to Fonthill Road in Finsbury Park. By 1911 they had moved nearer to New Court Chapel and were living in Moray Road. Sidney’s father became a builder’s labourer and three more sons were born: Alfred, Norman and John James.

Sidney became an architecture student but on 27 October 1915 he joined up as a Gunner in the 189th Brigade (the ‘Hackney Gun Brigade’) of the Royal Field Artillery (RFA). The raising of the Brigade is mentioned in the East London Observer of 11 September 1915, which states that the Mayor, L. Stanley Johnson, had gained War Office approval. The Brigade was apparently well established, based at the Electricity Office on Millfields Road and already had 200 full-uniformed recruits and a variety of guns and equipment. The recruiting office was at the Public Baths on Lower Clapton Road, where indeed Sidney enlisted. Each of the four Batteries in the Brigade had four 18-pounder field guns and a brigade artillery column. The Brigade was placed under the order of the 41st Division of the RFA, formed at Aldershot in September 1915. The majority of the units that comprised the division were originally locally raised, primarily from the south of England.

The units of the division were sent to France in May 1916, originally concentrated between Hazebrouek and Bailleul. They remained on the Western Front until October 1917 and took part in various phases of the Battle of the Somme and the Third Battle of Ypres. Sidney saw active service. There is a record of his being wounded and gassed in July 1917 and of entitlement to wear a wound stripe. He was mentioned in despatches (in the Supplement to the London Gazette, 18 May 1917), an honour recognised by receipt of two oak leaves, an emblem consisting of a spray of oak leaves in bronze, worn on the ribbon of the Victory Medal. The award was established in 1919 and was retrospective to August 1914.

On 21 November 1917 Sidney was posted to 285 Brigade, part of 57th Divisional Artillery. He appears to have been appointed Acting Bombardier by 23 August 1918. He was at the Dispersal Centre at Shorncliffe, Kent on 15 February 1919, transferred to Class Z Reserve on 16 March 1919 and finally demobbed on 31 March 1920.

The family was still living in Moray Road after the war and Sidney is shown here in the 1921 New Court Chapel membership list; other members of the family also appear here in the 1921 census. In 1926 Sidney married Nellie Otter. They had a son, Norman, born in 1927 and a daughter, Beryl, born in 1931, and moved to Hitchin. Sidney was a university lecturer in architecture. He died in 1960, aged 72.